Friday, January 11, 2013

WHY I DO WHAT I DO

As the new year starts and I renew my dedication to my business (and this blog),  I have also been reflecting.  With a continued desire to become better, more consistent, and creative with Williams Next Door as well as Williams Shoes I also took a look back as to why I chose to do what I am doing and how I really feel about it.

Part I: The Journey to Retail

In college I majored in Human Services (a major designed around non-profit work) and minored in Sociology.  I gained valuable insight into society and people and learned much about myself as well.  I realized however after a four year private university education....this was not what I wanted to do.  Oops.

I then tried my hand at finding a job in DC where I had gone to school.  The city quickly started to feel overly familiar to me and no amazing jobs were turning up so I decided to move back to Chicago to save money to eventually move to Argentina.  Why Argentina I'm not sure, but it was calling me.

Once back in Chicago, I worked at a market research firm in the loop in a extremely cutthroat sales environment and somehow managed to get out of there alive with my integrity still in tact.  I only cried  occasionally during my lunch breaks

I moved to Buenos Aires, Argentina for a year fell in love, became fluent in Spanish and worked for a pharmaceutical company.  Got my heart broken and moved back to Chicago, ready to return to my roots of a small, independently owned business.

Part II:  The Family business

Some of my earliest memories are playing in the basement of the shoe store, the smell of leather shoes when you open the boxes and the excitement to see new arrivals.  For a while I fought the idea of working in a family business.  However, I realized I wanted to be part of a process from A-Z.  I no longer wanted to feel disconnected to what I was doing.   I have always loved fashion and for how it can speak for you without you ever having to open your mouth.  I have never considered myself to be the most fashionable person or one to follow each new trend but I have always appreciated the creativity, art, expression and opportunity for new beginnings that fashions allows.  Each new season is a new opportunity to try again, try something new, transform yourself, channel an inspiration and present yourself to the world they way you perceive yourself and the way you want to be perceived.  A new opportunity to mix your old favorite pieces and continue to evolve them with a new one.  On a deeper level,  fashion can be a sign of the times.  So much of fashion reflects what's happening politically, economically and socially.  I like being part of that.  I want to be part of that.

From the business side I like making decisions.  I like that I can not only think of myself.  I need to think of my clients, the amazing women I have met and what will make them feel great.  What will they find new and exciting and fun to wear.  How much will they want to spend? I truly believe feeling good about what you are wearing and how you look can greatly impact your life.  Your attitude and the energy you give off can change your day, week, month and year.  While this can not solely be achieved by outward appearance alone,  it is an important component.  Someone who puts thought into how they look (not necessarily spending hours getting ready, but being presentable and with a point of view) also says they are confident and know who they are and how you should see them!  I want to help the women who come into my shop find things that will make them feel great and comfortable in their own skin.  To be the best versions of themselves.  Too often women think of themselves last.  They give to everyone and put themselves on the burners behind the back-burners.  I hope when they come into Next Door or Williams Shoes they will find something, a treasure big or small, that inspires them to treat themselves and view themselves in a positive light.  I also hope to provide a positive energy and experience to leave them walking out of the door with a good feeling.

To a happy, healthy and prosperous 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment