Friday, December 4, 2015

The Best Present

There is a certain phenomenon that seems to have pervaded the Midwest.  I've seen it enough times to even go so far as to call it somewhat of a trend. I hesitate to speak on it but it must be said and please know, I say it with love.  Sometimes I have clients who come in looking for a few things to snazz up their wardrobe before they go on a trip like many of us do when we head off on an adventure.  I have noticed these trips usually tend to be either to New York or Europe (specifically Paris).  In hushed tones of respect they mention they want to up their game a bit because they want to look more put together since Parisian (or New York) women are so fashionable and they don't want to be embarrassed by their usual, daily style fare.

So, here's the thing, while I also celebrate and admire my stylish sistren inhabiting the East Coast and gay Paris and love getting inspiration from them, I don't understand waiting to jooj up your style until you go on a trip for 3-7 days out of your year where no one you even know will see you. What are we, your most immediate Chicago style sisters?! Chopped liver?!  We wanna see you looking sassy too!  I think it's important to take pride in your appearance on a daily basis.  It's a form of being present in the here and now and not waiting for the future or a few days of your life where you are on vacation (read fantasy) to present your best self.  It's harder to maintain something long term as opposed to a few days where you have no strict schedule but that's precisely why it's important.

There is lots of talk floating around about being mindful and to me that doesn't just magically happen, it's comprised of lots of little pieces.  It's engaging in your community, not always multitasking with technology while walking, it's slowing down and enjoying your food and it's looking and feeling good about yourself TODAY because who knows what tomorrow will bring.

What do you think?  Do you or someone you know wait to go on a trip to pull yourself together? I would love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment