Friday, February 8, 2013

Interview with the President

Have you ever met the President of Nordstroms?  Do you know what the owner's face of Bloomingdales looks like?  Me neither.  However, if you have stopped in at Williams Shoe the Walking Spirit or Williams Next Door, you are more than likely to have seen the owner, Michael Lembeck, helping customers, whistling along to the radio and on occasion playing darts with the sales staff.  Here is an in depth interview with the man that runs the show!  The CEO, President and owner of Williams Shoes the Walking Spirit, your favorite and trusted shoe source, an Evanston business for 59 years now.



1. How long have you been the owner and CEO of Williams Shoes the Walking Spirit?


Well, the CEO I actually have only been for about 22 years.  Though I have been here for almost 30 because I was working with my dad for 7 or 8 years before he passed away and I took over the business.  I was on the sales floor selling shoes, learning the business, on the front lines in hand to hand combat in the trenches so to speak. 

2. What drew you to retail and in particular the shoe business?


Food and shelter initially.  I needed to provide for my family.  I was newly married and we wanted children so I knew I had to start figuring out something to do.  I didn't really have a burning desire for a different career path so I kind of fell into this since it was my family business.  Actually I had been running from the shoe business for the first 30 years of my life.   My dad had said, whatever you do don't go into the shoe business.  In the end I said, "Why am I running?  It could be good."  As it turns out, I love the shoe business.  It's a lot of hard work, and it requires a ton of dedication but it's very rewarding.


3. What would you say you enjoy most about your job?


I would say the thing I enjoy most about the job is going to the shoe shows.  I love walking into the convention hall, the smell of all the new shoes, all the new styles and the creativity of the different designers. I am always excited looking for new fresh styles, colors and constructions.  They always have great music piping in overhead. Many vendors will offer you coffee, water, candy bars, kind of being treated as a valued customer by the vendors is a nice feeling.  Who doesn't like to be catered to?

4. What would you say is the most challenging aspect of your job?

This is a tough one.  I would say there are a few things that I find very challenging.  There are constant mistakes and errors from companies sending the wrong things. We order blue they send you green, we order red they send you grey.  You have to call and arrange for them to take it back and have them send you the right thing.  There is endless straightening out mistakes.  It can be very exhausting and time consuming.  I know human error is part of life but nonetheless it can be draining.  Another thing, like any organization your only as good as your front line, your weakest link, whatever you want to call it.  So finding reliable, friendly and motivated staff is something I am constantly working towards achieving.  I know as a leader I also play a large role in that but that is definitely one of our challenges we are constantly trying to improve. 


5. What trends are you looking forward to bringing into the store this Spring 2013?

We are going for the trend of quality, value and as always practicality.  The shoe industry has come a long way.  It's not hard to find great comfortable shoes with lots of style.  You can walk all day in lots of our brands and still look put together.  Colorful sneakers, practical wedges, two toned shoes and little man tailored oxfords are big for Spring and we are excited to bring these stylish yet very wearable trends to the store this season! 

6.  What is a style of shoe every woman (or man) should have in her/his wardrobe?

For women I think a super comfortable all around basic dress casual shoe that you can dress up or down with jeans or for work or going out to dinner is essential.  You should have this shoe in black and brown.  After that's covered everyone should have a red shoe.  Red shoes make you feel upbeat.  You feel a little more energetic, on the ball, they project a feeling of confidence and add a little edge.  They also turn a basic black outfit into something that really pops.  For guys, I think obviously a dress shoe that they can have on hand whenever they need it  is good in black and brown and then a cool sneaker for the weekend (if they can't wear it during the week).  A cool sneaker instantly gives a t-shirt and jeans or more casual clothing a look of intention as opposed to a more "by accident" feel.


7.  What is the most valuable lesson you have learned from your 30+ years of experience?

I would say the most valuable lesson I have learned is: the race goes to the tortoise not the hare.  Many shoes stores have come and gone, In Evanston over the last 58 years, Florsheim, Payless, Edwards, Hanigs, Famous Footwear even Marshalls, Untitled, others we don't even remember their names.  They are all gone.  We are the only ones left standing and I think we can attribute that to, something my dad said, he said,  "The other people, chain stores,  are run by managers or people who don't really care, they're only there for a year or two.  They don't have the same kind of passion we have as a family store.  We are here every day, day in day out, I care about the success of the store as well as the satisfaction of my customers."  

8. If you wanted your customers to know one thing about you and your business what would that be?

At heart we are a real honest to goodness shoe store.  You can actually try the shoes on before you buy them.  You can touch them, feel them, smell them, see the color and talk with someone about it.  You can walk around with them, this is something that you can't do with a computer mouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment